Monday, November 12, 2012

I tried and tried

Antioxidant function of CoQ10

The antioxidant nature of CoQ10 derives from its energy carrier function. As an energy carrier, the CoQ10 molecule is continually going through an oxidation-reduction cycle. As it accepts electrons, it becomes reduced. As it gives up electrons, it becomes oxidized. In its reduced form, the CoQ10 molecule holds electrons rather loosely, so this CoQ molecule will quite easily give up one or both electrons and, thus, act as an antioxidant.[11] CoQ10 inhibits lipid peroxidation by preventing the production of lipid peroxyl radicals (LOO). Moreover, CoQH2 reduces the initial perferryl radical and singlet oxygen, with concomitant formation of ubisemiquinone and H2O2. This quenching of the initiating perferryl radicals, which prevent propagation of lipid peroxidation, protects not only lipids, but also proteins from oxidation. In addition, the reduced form of CoQ effectively regenerates vitamin E from the a-tocopheroxyl radical, thereby interfering with the propagation step. Furthermore, during oxidative stress, interaction of H2O2 with metal ions bound to DNA generates hydroxyl radicals and CoQ efficiently prevents the oxidation of bases, in particular, in mitochondrial DNA.[11] In contrast to other antioxidants, this compound inhibits both the initiation and the propagation of lipid and protein oxidation. It also regenerates other antioxidants such as vitamin E. The circulating CoQ10 in LDL prevents oxidation of LDL, which may provide benefit in cardiovascular diseases.

I read and reread and pondered this explanation. I have high cholesterol. I read somewhere that CoQ10 would help. Especially since I'm tired all the time and since my lipids are all over the map. Finally I hit on a solution to my problem of understanding of this explanation. It helps. It keeps some things from breaking down and keeps some things setting up. It regenerates some. And I'm going to try it. A trip to the drug store is in order.

I also have recently begun to see some changes to my body which accompany my change in diet. I've been getting salads from the fast food places. It's actually cheaper than buying all of the stuff and making my own. I use a dinner salad for 2 or 3 meals. For $6. Anyway, I'm still not eating enough fruits and veggies but I'm improving. I found a couple of great salads at Wendy's. Got to go there tonight.

I got a flu shot which gave me a reaction. I found out that that has happened a lot because of the combination of flu strains it works on. I got a prescription for a shingles shot but after so many people started getting sick and dying from steroid shots here in Tennessee, I decided to wait. But sooooon.

No comments:

Post a Comment