Wednesday, June 24, 2009

6:00 AM

Damn that's early. I swim at 6:20 AM. That means I get up at 6:00 AM. I am not swimming today. I got about 3 hours of sleep last night and just barely have the steam to type. Anyway there is always Friday.

6 is a good number for getting up though. At 6 the sun is up but not screaming "hot day" yet. At 6 the traffic outside the house has not gotten insane yet. At 6 you can hear birds instead of dogs and kids. At 6 you can actually appreciate a cup of coffee. At 6 McDonalds is already selling the sausage biscuit you shouldn't be eating. At 6 it's too early to do business and therefore it's a relaxing time. At 6 there is no reason to hurry(except on swimming days). It is a good number. Of course if you went to bed at 3, then not so much.

One of the truly lovely things about getting older is that I am pretty aware of how much I don't know. And I am aware of how much other people don't know. Like the idiot who drives so wrapped up in conversation that it takes him a full minute to move when the light turns green. There is a word for that I won't say. And like the idiot who doesn't know where he is going so he goes 15 mph down a road and slows at every turn, only to go back to 15 mph when it's the wrong one. And the idiot who parks right on the line in the parking lot, effectively taking up 2 spaces. And the idiot who has his stereo turned up so loud he couldn't hear a horn being blown at him. And no one else can hear anything either.

As to how much I don't know. One thing I have learned is that if I don't know, I can find someone who does.

And I have learned to appreciate what I have. My life, health, kids, grandkids, very significant other, home and the beautiful area I live in. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment