Sunday, June 7, 2009

Change can be good/or not

My very significant other and I live in a house that needed a new roof. So much leakage, gutters falling apart, etc. So I contacted a contractor to come and install a new roof. After settling between 3 estimates, I contracted the work to be done, roof, guttering, gutter cover, and attic insulation. Now doesn't that sound wonderful?

Well, my very significant other, who is very much my junior, and I were tickled to get the work done. Until we found out that they would be here 7:30 AM until 9:30 PM. The dogs got to go out in the morning but for the rest of the day they were stuck inside, freaking out at every thump. Our terrific Standard Poodle will go out front with me and stay in the yard. But the Corgi needs the fence in the back because she's a little untrustworthy and with the gate always open, she might run off.

So Thursday morning they started on the roof. The job was fairly large because of the size of the house. But we figured 2 or 3 days. We had to make some adjustments to the way we are doing things. Felt we should be here while they are working. And there is no way to park in the driveway, or to get to the freezer with the truck in the way, or to bring groceries home with the steep hill we would have to climb to get them into the house.

It's Sunday now. They are here. They left at 9:30 last night. My VSO is going nuts, not quietly. I think the appropriate word is "bitching" and I, so far have held onto my good nature. Today is Sunday. Today is the day I let go of the good nature and commence to complain. After all, I am 63 and I tire easily. And I'm tired.

I'm tired of the banging. I'm tired of the stuff laying all around the house. I'm tired of being cooped up inside, with the bitchy VSO and the antsy dogs. I'm tired of the next day coming with more people here. Tomorrow, they are supposed to do the gutters. I would love to think that by Tuesday we will be left alone. It is amazing how much I have grown to love solitude. I love my VSO but right now he is just another big pain in the ---.

I have always prided myself about handling change well. I am almost excited when something new happens. I'm always looking forward to planning things. Well this experience had changed my viewpoint. I had thought at one time that we might have VSO and his uncle put hardwood floors on the first floor of the house. That is now a joke. I just want it done as fast as possible. And not for a while. I need time to recouperate and to beat the VSO into a bloody pulp.

Growing older-gotta love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment